Most people want a home that is distinctive and not like every other home on the block. However, this can be difficult to achieve in a newer neighborhood, where homes often lack the character of older homes. While it’s important to be respectful of your neighborhood aesthetic, here are some tips to add charm and personalization to the exterior of your home.
- Add a covered entrance. An entry feature such as a porch or portico not only provides shelter from bad weather, it can also do wonders for a home’s curb appeal. Your covered entrance should be able to accommodate two people, keeping them covered while one person stands to the side and the other one swings the front door open.
- Mix and match siding. Mixing different siding profiles helps to make a home’s exterior distinctive, regardless of its architectural style. Using only one siding material may make the exterior appear flat and uninteresting, while a combination of siding profiles and colors gives a home more depth and visual interest.
- Change up the door. Builder-grade doors are often plain and lackluster, so adding a new door style can really make an impact. Select a door that complements the architectural style of your home yet has unique details that set your home apart.
- Add a gate. Most American homes in urban settings don’t have a lot of yard space. A gate gives the illusion of depth, making your lot seem larger from the sidewalk. For maximum effect, choose a gate design that still allows for some visibility.
- Plant profusely. Plants added to the exterior, either in the ground or in pots, add instant curb appeal and character with minimal time and effort. Vines planted along fences are a charming way to bring appeal to a not-so-attractive fence.
- Dress up garage doors. What a difference garage doors can make! Upgrade “plain vanilla” raised-panel doors to something with more flair, such as steel doors with a stained finish and decorative windows and hardware.
Siding That’s Designed for Beauty
LP’s engineered wood siding product line is so broad that you can use it for all your exterior design needs. We offer lap, panel, trim, fascia and soffit products that are a top pick among homeowners and remodelers all over the United States. We invite you to learn more about LP® SmartSide® products and find out where to buy LP SmartSide products near you.